Photographer Trevor Jones of AstroBackyard started doing astrophotography back in 2010 using his smartphone and point-and-shoot camera. After working on his craft for nearly a decade, Jones just made this 10-minute video guide sharing what he would do if he were starting out in astrophotography all over again today.
Jones knows what it’s like to start out with a blank slate, as he knew nothing about either astronomy or photography when he first started out. But this is the kind of work he’s putting out now:
Here’s an index of topics covered by Jones in the video:
- Know what you are getting into
- What experience do you need? What is an asset?
- What equipment do you actually need?
- How long will it take to produce a “nice” image?
- How much will it all cost?
- What Gear should I invest my hard-earned money in?
- Where should I go for help/advice?